Understanding Possible Side Effects of IMBRUVICA® (ibrutinib)
IMBRUVICA® may cause serious side effects, including1:
- Bleeding problems (hemorrhage)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Second primary cancers
- Decrease in blood cell counts
- Tumor lysis syndrome*
- Heart rhythm problems (ventricular arrhythmias, atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter)
*TLS is a disorder caused by the breakdown products of cancer cell, which can lead to kidney failure and other abnormalities.
The most common side effects in the WM clinical study during which IMBRUVICA® was administered in combination with rituximab were1:
- Joint pain
- Muscle and bone pain
In the WM clinical study for IMBRUVICA® administered in combination with rituximab, 5% of patients stopped taking IMBRUVICA® therapy because of side effects.2
The most common side effects during ibrutinib single agent therapy study in previously treated patients were1:
In WM clinical trials with ibrutinib single agent therapy, 6% of patients stopped taking IMBRUVICA® because of side effects.3
This is not a complete list of side effects. Others may occur. Tell your doctor if you think you are experiencing side effects.
If you are having some side effects, your doctor may tell you to lower your dose or to stop taking IMBRUVICA®. That’s one reason it’s so important to tell your healthcare team about side effects at any point in your treatment.1
Helpful tips for WM patients taking IMBRUVICA®
You may experience side effects while taking IMBRUVICA®.1 The suggestions below may help you while on IMBRUVICA®. Talk to your healthcare provider if you think you are experiencing any side effects.
To help with diarrhea4:
- Stay hydrated. Drink fluids such as water, decaffeinated tea, and clear broth
- Eat small meals often, and avoid very hot or spicy foods
- Avoid greasy foods, bran, raw fruits and vegetables, and caffeine
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco
To help reduce tiredness5:
- Balance periods of light movement with periods of rest
- Get plenty of sleep, which may include short naps
- Remain well hydrated throughout the day
- Eat a well-balanced diet that includes protein
To help prevent infection6:
- Wash hands often and bathe every day
- Avoid crowds and individuals with contagious diseases
- Do not keep fresh flowers or live plants in your living space
- Do not clean up droppings from your pets; have someone else do this for you
Infection is a serious possible side effect of IMBRUVICA®. Notify a healthcare professional immediately if signs of infection (eg, fever, chills, weakness, and confusion) occur.1
- IMBRUVICA® (ibrutinib) Prescribing Information. Pharmacyclics LLC. 2019.
- Dimopoulos MA, Tedeschi A, Trotman J, et al. Phase 3 trial of ibrutinib plus rituximab in Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia. N Engl J Med. 2018;378(25):2399-2410.
- Data on file. Pharmacyclics LLC.
- American Cancer Society. Getting help with diarrhea. https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/cancer-control/en/booklets-flyers/getting-help-for-diarrhea-english.pdf. Accessed May 1, 2019.
- American Cancer Society. Managing cancer-related fatigue at home. https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/physical-side-effects/fatigue/managing-fatigue-at-home.html. Accessed May 1, 2019.
- American Cancer Society. Preventing infections in people with cancer. https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/physical-side-effects/infections/preventing-infections-in-people-with-cancer.html. Accessed May 1, 2019.
From the moment you’re prescribed IMBRUVICA®, YOU&i™ provides information and support for getting the help you may need during treatment.
Coverage and Cost
Confirm your coverage and out-of-pocket costs for IMBRUVICA®.
Receive periodic emails with tips and information about treatment.
IMBRUVICA® Nurse Educators
Call a Nurse Educator if you have questions about IMBRUVICA®.